Wondering what the difference is between a shift and a sheath dress is? Today’s the day when you finally get these two silhouettes sorted out.
|A shift dress hangs from the shoulders with a column effect that skims the body offering more room through the bust, waist and hips||A sheath dress is form fitting for a streamlined silhouette hitting at or above the knee.|
|Now that you know the difference between shift and sheath dresses, here’s how to style them:|
How to Style a Shift Dress
A staple in the girl-on the-go wardrobe, a shift dress can take you from day to evening with ease.
- How to style a shift dress for day: Spring for a lightweight shift dress for daytime with a pair of sandals and your favorite crossbody bag when it’s warm, or ankle boots, tights and a thick cardigan when it starts to cool down.
- How to style a shift dress for night: A shift dress is the perfect dress to wear for a night out. Choose a bold color or a little black shift dress and pair with a pair of sleek pumps.
- How to style a shift dress for work: If your office has a business casual dress code, style your shift dress with ballet flats and a jean jacket. If your 9-to-5 is more formal, don a blazer, elongate your legs with pointed toe flats and stick to a dark color.
Be sure to find a shift dress with a flattering neckline that will complement your shape!
How to Style a Sheath Dress
The quintessential classic-girl’s “go to” piece, the sheath’s contouring style is an essential in any working woman’s wardrobe.
- How to style a sheath dress for day: Elevate your day game in a solid textured sheath with a printed D’Orsay flat. For a more casual affair, layer a chambray button-up tied at the waist that can take you on a weekend getaway in style.
- How to style a sheath dress for night: For your next night out, step out with a bang in a dress that will turn heads. Opt for a nude pointed-toe pump to elongate your legs and pair with a bold statement necklace for a dramatic effect.
- How to style a sheath dress for work: Nail your next meeting with your boss with a solid colored dress paired with a tailored trench and simple accessories. For a business casual office setting, opt for a thin cardigan belted at the waist for a streamlined shape.
Worried about its figure-skimming properties? Don it with slimming shapewear to help your dress hug your body in all the right ways. Up the ante with a gemstone statement necklace for a soiree in the city.
Now it’s up to you to decide which effortless silhouette will makes its sartorial debut!
Think you’re ready to try on a shift or a sheath? Complete our Style Quiz to find the right one!