Wondering what the difference is between a shift and a sheath dress is? Today’s the day when you finally get these two silhouettes sorted out.
|A shift dress hangs from the shoulders with a column effect that skims the body offering more room through the bust, waist and hips||A sheath dress is form fitting for a streamlined silhouette hitting at or above the knee.|
|Now that you know the difference between shift and sheath dresses, here’s how to style them:|
How to Style a Shift Dress
A staple in the girl-on the-go wardrobe, a shift dress can take you from day to evening with ease.
- How to style a shift dress for day: Spring for a lightweight shift dress for daytime with a pair of sandals and your favorite crossbody bag when it’s warm, or ankle boots, tights and a thick cardigan when it starts to cool down.
- How to style a shift dress for night: A shift dress is the perfect dress to wear for a night out. Choose a bold color or a little black shift dress and pair with a pair of sleek pumps.
- How to style a shift dress for work: If your office has a business casual dress code, style your shift dress with ballet flats and a jean jacket. If your 9-to-5 is more formal, don a blazer, elongate your legs with pointed toe flats and stick to a dark color.
Be sure to find a shift dress with a flattering neckline that will complement your shape!
How to Style a Sheath Dress
The quintessential classic-girl’s “go to” piece, the sheath’s contouring style is an essential in any working woman’s wardrobe.
- How to style a sheath dress for day: Elevate your day game in a solid textured sheath with a printed D’Orsay flat. For a more casual affair, layer a chambray button-up tied at the waist that can take you on a weekend getaway in style.
- How to style a sheath dress for night: For your next night out, step out with a bang in a dress that will turn heads. Opt for a nude pointed-toe pump to elongate your legs and pair with a bold statement necklace for a dramatic effect.
- How to style a sheath dress for work: Nail your next meeting with your boss with a solid colored dress paired with a tailored trench and simple accessories. For a business casual office setting, opt for a thin cardigan belted at the waist for a streamlined shape.
Worried about its figure-skimming properties? Don it with slimming shapewear to help your dress hug your body in all the right ways. Up the ante with a gemstone statement necklace for a soiree in the city.
Now it’s up to you to decide which effortless silhouette will makes its sartorial debut!
Slink into shift and sheath styles with hand-selected pieces from one of our expert stylists. Take your style quiz, order a Fix and request an assortment of new dresses to try. Our stylists will gather five items for you to try. Keep what you love and return the rest. Remember, shipping, returns and exchanges are always free. It’s as simple as that.