For those of us who are a little vertically challenged, getting clothes hemmed can be a pain. Although we love ’em, sometimes we don’t have time to take our clothes in for a quick fix. But instead of running to your local tailor at the eleventh hour, here’s our tips for shortening the hems of dresses and jeans
Here are three ways to shorten hems without a tailor:
- Embrace the cuff. A small cuff to just above the ankle is a timeless look and will show off the narrowest part of your leg. Try it with a sneaker & a chambray button down for a classic, tonal look.
- Try the raw hem trend. If you’re feeling like taking the plunge with a pair of scissors, mark your jeans evenly on each leg and then cut away. Raw hems should hit just above the ankle or higher for a cool crop style. Pull at the raw hem to loosen some threads and head out the door!
- Roll your pant leg up at the knee. Rather than folding the bottom of your pant leg under, grab the fabric of your favorite skinny jeans at the middle of your leg & carefully fold it in. Bunch up the denim around it to add a textured look to your leg.
How to shorten the hems of a dress without a tailor:
When dealing with an unruly hem length for a maxi or a mini dress, try these three tips:
- Examine your shoe’s heel height. Both a wedge or strappy sandal would be wonderful options to pair with your favorite maxi skirt—their higher heels will help balance your skirt.
- Play with where the top of your skirt sits on your figure. Some pleated chiffon skirts tend to be the most flattering when worn at the small of your waist whereas others look lovely worn at the hips.
- Try folding the top of your skirt over itself. Often, it will not change the integrity of the skirt’s silhouette & will help you to ensure that the skirt hits at your ankle, right where it belongs.
Tuck these tips in your back pocket, and you’ll never be stuck in an off-the-cuff denim moment again. Need to find your perfect inseam? Take your style quiz and let your stylist know when you schedule a Fix. Your stylist will send you five personalized items right to your doorstep. Keep what you love and send back what you don’t. Shipping and returns are on us.