If you are like us, you have been living in comfy sweats, tossing on a headband or hat and living make-up free with the increased time spent at home. Comfort is key right now (as it should be), but with styles such as loungewear and athleisure popping up, is there an actual difference? Have you ever wondered how to style women’s loungewear? We have answers for you right here. Let’s dive right in with a face-off between athleisure and loungewear.
What is the difference between women’s loungewear and athleisure?
The words athleisure and loungewear are everywhere this season, begging the question, is there a difference? Athleisure is comfortable clothing designed to be suitable for exercise and every day wear, while loungewear, on the other hand, is strictly casual clothes and women’s sleepwear for relaxing and keeping life low-key. Comfort is essential for loungewear pieces, whereas functionality is paramount for athleisure. However, just because women’s loungewear may be primarily worn around the house doesn’t mean that we have to completely forfeit style.
Is loungewear the same as pajamas?
Loungewear and pajamas are the comfortable clothing you reach for when relaxing at home. They differ in that loungewear can be worn at home and for running errands while pajamas are meant for sleepwear. Pajamas have a loose fit for maximum comfort while sleeping. Look for luxurious and light fabrications like silk and cotton for your bedtime ensembles. Like loungewear, pajamas come in sets and separates. You can find coordinating pants and short sets, as well as breezy and airy nightgowns in all lengths. Feeling bold? Try styling a chic silk pajama top with a blazer and joggers for a look that you can wear to a virtual meeting or to run errands.
How can I wear women’s loungewear at home?
When it comes to lying around the house, fashion may not be top of mind. However, while you are relaxing on the couch or resting in bed, there are ways to capture the perfect blend of cozy, and trendy style. Check out these tips for rocking loungewear for women at home.
1. Live-in leggings. Leggings are a women’s loungewear staple. They not only elongate your silhouette, but also come in bold colors, sleek cuts and fun patterns that can easily capture your unique style voice. Add your favorite knit top and layer a cardigan or vest for maximum comfort and the perfect expression of your style. Don’t like a fitted silhouette? Try an option like relaxed fleece pants for your loungewear look.
2. Jog it out. Joggers take leggings up a notch without sacrificing comfort. Its looser silhouette, that cinch at the waist and ankles, creates a versatile pair of bottoms that can easily be mixed and matched or worn in a women’s loungewear set. Add anything from a coordinating sweatshirt to a knit turtleneck for cozy-chic looks that are perfect for in-house wear. Pro Tip: Look for details like an option with pockets because who doesn’t love pockets?
3. Jump for your love. When you think of women’s loungewear, jumpsuits aren’t the first thing that comes to mind. There are some fantastic knit jumpsuits, made from super soft materials like organic cotton and jersey, that are the perfect pieces to lounge in all day long. It’s a one-piece wonder that you will snuggle and slay in for days to come.
4. Tee me. Our favorite T-shirts are definitely loungewear pieces. Take the tee up a notch and try a T-shirt dress that will make getting dressed a snap. Wear it on its own, or over leggings and layered under a cardigan for those days when you need extra warmth. Not to mention, tees and T-shirt dresses are also a women’s loungewear piece that you can easily wear in the summer for maximum use.
5. Meet your match. A chic women’s loungewear statement comes in twos with matching pieces that take comfort to a whole new style level. From matching pajamas to joggers, lounge around in a modern-day suit. This relaxed take on the traditional suit will never go out of style and always be high on the scale of comfort.
6. Slip into comfort. Chances are, your shoes don’t get a lot of wear these days, but one thing is for sure, the demand for slippers has increased tenfold. They are the perfect footwear option for women’s loungewear, and an excellent way to express your personal style indoors. From fuzzy to pattered, slippers are keeping our feet warm and on-trend.
How can you wear women’s loungewear out?
Wear your women’s loungewear outside the home by transforming it into a polished look perfect for a running errands or a socially distant dinner. Need styling tips? We’ve got you covered with six hacks to dress up your loungewear pieces, instantly.
1. You can’t go wrong with a blazer. Adding a blazer to soft pants and shirts can elevate your loungewear look. From patterned to bright, adding on a blazer will pull together your look and instantly polish up any loungewear ensemble. You can even add a blazer over a hoodie. Simply layer the hood over the collar of your blazer. Getting ready for a distant coffee date? Add a colorful blazer over your tee or sweatshirt for a bold look that will leave a lasting impression.
2. Add sneakers with style. From a crisp white pair to an animal-print vibe, sneakers will style up your loungewear pieces in an instant. Adding a pair with texture like a suede or corduroy gives your leisure look dimension and luxury. Sneakers are also conversation starters, so be ready for fun style convos that are coming your way. Adding a cool pair of kicks is a great way to take your at-home leisurewear to new levels.
3. Layer accessories. There are no rules when it comes to dressing up your loungewear. Add different types of bags and jewelry to your loungewear pieces to take them to the next level. Layers of chains, hoop earrings and stacks of bracelets will take your loungewear from the couch to anywhere you want to go. Pro Tip: The days of only wearing one type of metal are over—mix gold, silver, brass and other textures of jewelry as you please. It’s your style world, you do you.
4. Wear the set. Feel-good, matching loungewear sets create chic monochromatic looks when you add neutral pieces to the ensemble. Pair your matching sets with like colors from head to toe for an enhanced outfit. Tonal color palates will also take your sets to new levels. What is tonal? Wearing pieces together that fall within the same color family. Need an example? Wear a light grey jogger set with a dark grey moto jacket and slate grey sneakers for a fresh tonal look that will stop people in their style tracks.
5. Pump it up. We know those heels have been in the closet for months, but dig them out and throw them on with your loungewear pieces for instant glam. Add a pop-of-color heel to a pair of leggings and an oversized tee for a sleek look that is perfect for a socially distant dinner with friends. Add a longline blazer and a stacked necklace to complete the look. For extra style points, toss on a fun pair of socks before putting on those heels. Printed, bold or bright, socks add another layer of style to your loungewear looks and keep those feet toasty warm in the process. It’s a win-win!
6. Create shape. Build a new shape for your loungewear by French tucking, belting and rolling up your leisure pieces. A quick change here and there can mold a whole new silhouette for your leisurewear outfit. Pro Tip: The easiest way to achieve a polished French tuck is to tuck in the middle portion of your shirt and leave the rest of your sweater out on the sides. Don’t be afraid to alter it to your liking. Wear it the way that is best for you.
There you have it: 12 ways to wear your loungewear on the couch and outside the house in a snap. Ready to expand your loungewear collection? Our style experts are here to lend a hand. Take your style quiz, order a Fix and ask your stylist for comfy loungewear options. You can relax and try on your new styles at home, plus shipping and returns are always free.