The key to dressing your body type is striking the right proportional balance. Based on your description, it sounds like you are what the industry calls a “pear-shaped,” which means you have fuller thighs & hips.
See what Stylist, Megan S., has to say about dressing wider hips and thighs!
It’s a common & beautiful shape that’s easy to style once you know a few tricks. Your mission is to shift the focus from that area to the upper torso, instead. This can be done by utilizing garments that draw the eye upwards and downplay hips.
What Tops to Wear When You’re a Pear Shape
- Play with different necklines. A boat neck, straight/strapless, cowl or sweetheart neckline pulls focus with a more dramatic cut.
- Go for bold colors, prints & stripes up top, stat!
- Opt for tops with detailing: draping, large collars, zippers, ruffles, kimono sleeves & other embellishments.
- Experiment with top lengths. Find ones that hit below the widest part of your hips, or those that hit mid-way across your hips. (Avoid hip-length, or ones that hit at the widest part of your hips- this will only draw attention to this area!).
What Bottoms to Wear When You’re a Pear Shape
- Invest in some fantastic shapewear.
- Wear darker colors on your lower half to minimize that area and downplay hips.
- Whenever possible, wear heels to elongate your legs.
- Balance out your mid-section with bootcut, wider leg or flare jeans & pants.
- For skirts, invest in an A-line, full, or maxi-skirt.
- Wrap and A-line dresses will likewise flatter, creating a smaller waist & drawing attention away from the bottom as the cut opens up.
Fuller hips should be highlighted and balanced out with tops that flatter and flaunt what you have. For more tips for dressing a pear shape, head to our Ask A Stylist body shape guide!
What do you think? Share your own advice in the comments below!