You spent your 20s building an inventory of the basics, and now it’s time to step up your style game. Your 30s will bring many milestones, and between all the personal and professional events — promotions, weddings, black-tie parties, etc. it’s time to get your closet in line, or at least spruced up.
Here are our style staples when you’re in your 30s.
Here’s what to add to your closet when you’re 30:
- Moto jacket: If the denim jacket was the go-to layer in your 20s, your 30s calls for an updated, goes with everything moto jacket. It’s cool without being too edgy, making it the perfect match for polished dresses or your jeans and T-shirt combo.
- Crisp tops: In your 20s, you probably had a collection of “going-out” tops that were fun and flirty, but it’s time to upgrade. In your 30s, play up your assets by finding your most flattering neckline. Opt for pieces that are more subtle and polished, but undeniably sexy.
- The grown-up coat: A lean, go-with-everything coat in a beautiful hue, is the piece to finish off your cold-weather looks. Wrap coats, trenches and cocoon coats are elevated takes on your favorite jackets that you wore in your 20s—and a lot warmer.
- The perfect dress: Those events that you started getting invites for in your 20s? They’re showing no signs of slowing down now. From your morning meeting to your BFFs wedding, find a dress that you can wear everywhere—like a versatile shirt dress or that ever-flattering wrap dress.
- Your perfect jeans: It’s simple—denim knows no age! Life gets busy when you’re in your third decade, it’s time to invest in a new pair of perfect jeans that can go from work to weekend in a flash.
- Tailored trousers: Even if you don’t work at a traditional 9 to 5, a tailored pair of trousers is a closet staple to add. For the days when you’re looking for a little more polish, tailored trousers pair perfectly with that chunky knit or plain white tee.
Here’s what to leave behind in your 30s:
- Barely there skirts & dresses: You don’t need to bare it all for a night out. Leave something to the imagination and opt for an on-trend midi skirt or show just the right amount of skin with an off-the shoulder frock.
- Tattered sneakers: We get it—your busted, old sneakers have been with you through thick and thin, but they’re probably falling apart at the seams. If that’s the case, it’s time to leave them at the door and spring for a fresh pair.
- Poorly fitting clothing: If you’re having to do lunges to get into that pair of jeans or coming close to breaking a rib for that dress, it’s time to toss ‘em. Start styling yourself your body as it is right now.
Let these essentials be the foundation of your wardrobe, anchoring whatever crazy, amazing pieces you find along the way.
What are your style staples in your 30s? Tell us!